OSX and Happy Eyeballs

Marco Davids (SIDN) marco.davids at sidn.nl
Tue Nov 17 13:00:01 CET 2020

Hello,

We have a Wireguard VPN and everything is working fine.

There is just one little thing: IPv6 Happy Eyeballs.

Without the VPN enabled, happy eyeballs works fine. The AAAA (IPv6) is
preferred over A (IPv4). But as soon as we enable the tunnel, it's the
other way around.

IPv6-only sites are perfectly reachable, but dual-stack sites are always
reached over IPv4.

It is not a showstopper, but I am just trying to understand why this is.

Anyone with the same experience and more knowledge about the inner
workings of Wireguard and Apple's happy eyeballs implementation that
would care to comment?

Thanks!

--
Marco Davids