WireGuard for Windows failed to start after update to v0.2.1

Joshua Sjoding joshua.sjoding at scjalliance.com
Tue Nov 17 22:19:50 CET 2020

I think they're separate issues both related to the new version, which
is why I opted to send in separate emails. The other email is about an
issue first encountered on two other computers within the company.

In my case I was able to get WireGuard working again. Here's what happened:

1. I manually started the WireGuard desktop app. It immediately
prompted for elevated privileges, which is atypical. I provided it
with administrative credentials.
2. The WireGuard desktop app launched, but lacked any of my configured
tunnels and still was prompting me to upgrade. I see that there's a
config data migration recorded in the log, so my guess is that
WireGuard was still running the old executable and didn't know to look
for the configuration data in the new location yet.
3. I told WireGuard to run the updater again and this time it went through fine.
4. When WireGuard came back up it had the tunnel configuration again.
The tunnel was left in a shut off state, even though it was on prior
to the first upgrade attempt. I switched the tunnel back on and it
seems to be working fine now.

I got my own tunnel back in a working condition easily enough, but
we'll need to be cautious as we upgrade our WireGuard clients across
the company. We have over 100 installations of WireGuard for Windows,
so we'll see what sort of success rate we get.