FreeBSD/CARP: bind outgoing packets to virtual IP

Muenz, Michael m.muenz at spam-fetish.org
Mon Sep 28 13:33:06 CEST 2020

Hi,

for HA solutions within Linux it seems WireGuard has the ability to use
fwmark to treat packet right with iptables.

When it comes to FreeBSD we don't have any chance to rewrite packets in
HA setups.

Let's say you have unit1 with master IP 1.1.1.5 and unit2 with master IP
1.1.1.9 and a floating IP 1.1.1.7 which is only owned by the active
unit. Without the option to bind the service to a fixed IP, packets
leaving the firewall will be sourced from the highest interface IP which
would break when the floating IP is moving from unit 1 to 2.

I know most of the user base are Linux users but I more and more get
requests also from bigger companys about HA-setups via OPNsense.

Do you have any plans about a similar feature for your FreeBSD users? :)

Best,

Michael