FreeBSD if_wg POINTTOPOINT and MULTICAST behaviour

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Thu Apr 15 04:30:44 UTC 2021

Hey Toke,

Regarding POINTTOPOINT flag in Linux vs FreeBSD -- apparently FreeBSD
routes everything differently simply by virtue of the interface having
that flag, whereas on Linux, PTP routing mode is only switched on if
you actually add an address with a dest peer. So for FreeBSD, the
different routing seemed somewhat disruptive, so I stopped setting
that flag in a recent snapshot release.

Hey Stefan,

Looking at bird's source code (iface.c), it looks like bird will only
look at IFF flags if you fail to specify the interface type in the
config file. Can you try *not changing to link1/ptp mode* and then
setting the type flag in your bird config? Specifically:

                interface <interface pattern> [instance <num>] {
                        type [broadcast|bcast|pointopoint|ptp|
                                nonbroadcast|nbma|pointomultipoint|ptmp];

If you set `type ptmp` or `type nbma` or something, and see if that
will do the trick for you? I'd like to _not_ release this link1
hack/trick if possible.

Thanks,