Cannot add wg0 on CentOS 8

Phil Perry pperry at elrepo.org
Fri Dec 10 23:33:47 UTC 2021

On 09/12/2021 10:47, Mehdi Haghgoo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to add  a wireguard device on CentOS Stream (was Linux just converted to Stream).
> When I enter "ip link add wg0 type wireguard" or try it using wg-quick wg0 up, I get the following error:
>
> RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported
>
> I have wireguard-tools and kmod-wireguard installed.
> Additional information:
>
> uname -r: 4.18.0-147.8.1.el8_1.x86_64
>
> wg --version: wireguard-tools v1.0.20210914 - https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-tools/
>
> kmod-wireguard version: 1.0.20211208
>

> Best regards,
> Mehdi

Is the wireguard module loaded? I doubt it.

You are running a *very* old kernel, and I suspect the version of
kmod-wireguard you are running does not support that kernel. Why are you
running a kernel that is two years out of date and full of unpatched
security holes? Updating your system is probably the first step to
fixing your issue.