"BUG: scheduling while atomic" on 5.4 kernels with PREEMPT_RT

Erik Schuitema erik at essd.nl
Mon Feb 8 11:36:36 UTC 2021

Hi Jason,

(Sorry for the delay in my reply..)

On 19/12/2020 19:16, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
 > So far as I can tell, upstream is fine with this. I'd encourage you to
 > move to the newer LTS, 5.10. The compat stuff has always been pretty
 > meh. It was an important step in getting WireGuard bootstrapped, of
 > course, but just look at this horror:
 >
 > https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-linux-compat/tree/src/compat/compat.h

I don't have doubts about the upstream code, I was merely wondering
whether the performance hit from disabling SIMD is still present in
newer kernels (it wasn't immediately obvious to me while browsing the
5.10 source).

 > I'll keep it working as people need, but folks should really really
 > move to the new LTS, now that it's out.

These efforts are highly appreciated! It's not trivial for me to switch
to a new kernel (needs extensive product testing), so I'm happy with the
5.4 patch. But I'll be sure to skip right to 5.10 when moving to a new
kernel.

Best regards,
Erik