UBSAN: object-size-mismatch in wg_xmit

Dmitry Vyukov dvyukov at google.com
Fri Jan 8 09:30:59 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 8:00 PM Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com> wrote:

> > > Hi Dmitry,

> > > Right that sort of makes sense, and I can imagine that in more general
> > > cases the struct casting could lead to UB. But what has me scratching
> > > my head is that syzbot couldn't reproduce. The cast happens every
> > > time. What about that one time was special? Did the address happen to
> > > fall on the border of a mapping? Is UBSAN non-deterministic as an
> > > optimization? Or is there actually some mysterious UaF happening with
> > > my usage of skbs that I shouldn't overlook?
> >
> > These UBSAN checks were just enabled recently.
> > It's indeed super easy to trigger: 133083 VMs were crashed on this already:
> > https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=8f90d005ab2d22342b6d
> > So it's one of the top crashers by now.
>
> Ahh, makes sense. So it is easily reproducible after all.
>
> You're still of the opinion that it's a false positive, right? I
> shouldn't spend more cycles on this?

No, I am not saying this is a false positive. I think it's an
undefined behavior.
Either way, we need to resolve this one way or another to unblock
testing the rest of the kernel, if not with a fix to wg, then with a
fix to ubsan, or disable this check for kernel if kernel community
decides we want to use and keep this type of C undefined behavior in
the code base intentionally.
So far I see only 2 "UBSAN: object-size-mismatch" reports on the dashboard:
https://syzkaller.appspot.com/upstream
So cleaning them up looks doable. Is there a way to restructure the
code to not invoke undefined behavior?
Kees, do you have any suggestions on how to proceed? This seems to
stop testing of the whole kernel at the moment.