network namespace wireguard routing [Was: Re: Userspace Networking Stack + WireGuard + Go]

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Wed Jan 13 16:46:03 UTC 2021

"Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason at zx2c4.com> writes:

> In order to prevent this Go thread from being hijacked with Linux
> concerns, I've changed the Subject line of the email. Please keep
> follow ups in this thread rather than the other.
>
> Response is in line below:
>
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 5:26 PM Julian Orth <ju.orth at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 13/01/2021 17.04, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
>>
>>  > Even if you're unprivileged and want a WireGuard interface for just a
>>  > single application that's bound to the lifetime of that application,
>>  > you can still use WireGuard's normal kernel interface inside of a user
>>  > namespace + a network namespace, and get a private process-specific
>>  > WireGuard interface.
>>
>> That's what my patches from back in 2018 were trying to accomplish.
>> Unless I've missed something since, I do not see how what you're
>> describing would work.  Unless you also
>>
>> - create a TUN device in the network namespace
>> - add a default route through that TUN device
>> - manually route all traffic between the init network namespace and your
>>    network namespace.
>>
>> Is that what you meant or is there a simpler way?
>
> What I meant was:
>
> 1. User opens his shell and runs ./blah. That executes in the init
> namespace where all the physical interfaces are.
> 2. blah creates a wireguard interface.
> 3. blah creates a network namespace.
> 4. blah moves that wireguard interface into that network namespace.
> 5. blah calls `setns()` on one of its threads to use that network namespace.
>
> Thinking about this in more detail, I'm guessing you take issue with
> step #2? Since that actually might require privileges in the init
> namespace?

5. also requires CAP_SYS_ADMIN (and I think by extension, so does 3.,
and 4.). From 'man setns':

       Network, IPC, time, and UTS namespaces
              In order to reassociate itself with a new network, IPC,
              time, or UTS namespace, the caller must have the
              CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability both in its own user namespace
              and in the user namespace that owns the target namespace.

-Toke