Multiple Clients behind NAT

Posegga, Joachim jp at sec.uni-passau.de
Wed Jan 13 20:14:46 UTC 2021

Dear all,

I am trying to connect multiple wireguard clients behind the same NAT-Gateway to a Mikrotik  server with a public IP. I am not yet sure where exactly the problem is, but it seems that only one client at a time can establish a tunnel.

Is this a known problem due to the UDP transport, or should multiple clients behind a NAT work in principle?

I understand from the documentation that the server looks at the public key of the incoming packet and identifies the client. The response sent back from the server then arrives at the NAT gateway, and it should map the target port to the correct client and forward it. However, I am not very familiar with UDP over NAT, so I am wondering if this usually works without problems. If this is the case, I would know that the problem is most likely on the side of the Mikrotik server.

Thanks,
	Joachim.