potentially disallowing IP fragmentation on wg packets, and handling routing loops better

Peter Linder peter at fiberdirekt.se
Sun Jun 6 11:14:16 UTC 2021

This would break things for me. We're doing a lot of L2 over L3 site to
site stuff and we are using wireguard as the outer layer. Inner layer is
vxlan or l2tpv3.

In particular, people connect lots of stuff with no regard for MTU. For
some things it's also very hard to change so we just assume people
don't. Since the L3 network typically has the same MTU as the inner L2
network, we need fragmentation. There is no practical way to be able to
tell hosts on the L2 network about the limited mtu, for all we know they
don't even run IP....

It really does work without a hassle, it is not very very slow at all.
Performance is down perhaps by a factor of 3 compared to setting a
smaller MTU/MSS, but we can still push 350mbit/s with an atom 2ghz cpu,
and around 800mbit/s with a xeon cpu, with fragmentation for most
packets. This is one case where wireguard really works well!

IMHO, having wireguard generating fragmentable packets adds a lot to its
usefulness. With that said, it's not the end of the world for me as I
can just compile my own but I'd rather not :-)