potentially disallowing IP fragmentation on wg packets, and handling routing loops better

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Mon Jun 7 11:27:10 UTC 2021

Hi Roman,

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 1:13 PM Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.net> wrote:
> In the L2 tunneling scenario the large VXLAN packets are generated locally, as
> it will be common for the same host (aka "the router") to be both a WG peer
> and a VXLAN VTEP, so it is going to be affected.

Can you walk me through your use case a bit more, so I can wrap my mind
around the requirements?

ingress --plain--> wireguard --wireguard[plain]--> vxlan --vxlan[wireguard[plain]]--> egress

So my question is, why can't you set wireguard's MTU to 80 bytes less
than vxlan's MTU? What's preventing that or making it infeasible?