wg syncconf (and setconf) error when one or more endpoints is unresolvable

Lonnie Abelbeck lists at lonnie.abelbeck.com
Tue Jun 15 13:23:59 UTC 2021

> On Jun 15, 2021, at 5:52 AM, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com> wrote:
>
> This is intended behavior. DNS resolution happens at config parsing time.

Christian,

While I appreciate Jason's strict DNS requirement, for the last 2.5 years our project has implemented a trivial patch [1] to ignore endpoint DNS failure.  On a DNS failure, essentially ignoring the (optional) Endpoint= dns-hostname peer entry.

This has worked well for our use case.  WireGuard always starts.

Lonnie

[1] Ignore endpoint DNS failure
https://github.com/astlinux-project/astlinux/blob/master/package/wireguard-tools/wireguard-tools-0001-ignore-endpoint-dns-failure.patch