passing-through TOS/DSCP marking

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Wed Jun 30 17:23:48 UTC 2021

Hi Toke,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 04:27:08PM +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Daniel Golle <daniel at makrotopia.org> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 02:24:29PM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> >> Hey Toke,

> >> That is a super cool approach. Thanks for writing that! Sounds like a
> >> good approach, and one pretty easy to deploy, without the need to
> >> patch kernels and such.
> >>
> >> Also, nice usage of BPF_MAP_TYPE_LRU_HASH for this.
> >>
> >> Daniel -- can you let the list know if this works for your use case?
> >
> > Turns out not exactly easy to deploy (on OpenWrt), as it depends on an
> > extremely recent environment. I will try pushing to that direction, but
> > it doesn't look like it's going to be ready very soon.
> >
> > In terms of toolchain: LLVM/Clang is a very bulky beast, I gave up on
> > that and started working on integrating GCC-10's BPF target in our build
> > system...
>
> I saw that, but I have no idea if GCC's BPF target support will support
> this. My tentative guess would be no, unfortunately :(

Probably you are right. When building the BPF object with GCC, the
result is:
root at OpenWrt:/usr/lib/bpf# preserve-dscp wg0 eth0
libbpf: elf: skipping unrecognized data section(4) .stab
libbpf: elf: skipping relo section(5) .rel.stab for section(4) .stab
libbpf: elf: skipping unrecognized data section(13) .comment
libbpf: BTF is required, but is missing or corrupted.
Couldn't open file: preserve_dscp_kern.o

Using the LLVM/Clang compiled object also doesn't work:
root at OpenWrt:/usr/lib/bpf# preserve-dscp wg0 eth0
libbpf: Error in bpf_create_map_xattr(flow_dscps):Operation not permitted(-1). Retrying without BTF.
libbpf: map 'flow_dscps': failed to create: Operation not permitted(-1)
libbpf: permission error while running as root; try raising 'ulimit -l'? current value: 512.0 KiB
libbpf: failed to load object 'preserve_dscp_kern.o'
Failed to load object

Probably Kernel 5.4.124 is too old...?

> An alternative to getting LLVM built as part of the OpenWrt toolchain is
> to just use the host clang to build the BPF binaries. It doesn't
> actually need to be cross-compiled with a special compiler, the BPF byte
> code format is the same on all architectures except for endianness, so
> just passing that to the host clang should theoretically be enough...

I believe that having a way to build BPF objects compatible with the
target built-into our toolchain would be a huge step forward.
And given that gcc already get's pretty far, I think it'd be worth
fixing/patching what ever is missing (I haven't even tried GCC-11 yet)

Find my staging tree including 'preserve-dscp' ready to play with:

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/staging/dangole.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/gcc10-bpf

Select 'Enable experimental features by default', but note that toolchain
doesn't build when selecting Linux 5.10 for x86, so you need to un-select
'Use testing Kernel' if building for x86.
And have a look at the patch for allow building bpf-examples BPF objects
with GCC in package/network/utils/bpf-examples/patches

> > In terms of kernel support: recent kernels don't build yet because of
> > gelf_getsymshndx, so we got to update libelf first for that. Recent
> > libelf doesn't seem to be an option yet on many of the build hosts we
> > currently support (Darwin and such).
> >
> > In terms of library support: our build of libbpf comes from Linux
> > release tarballs. There isn't yet a release supporting bpf_tc_attach,
> > the easiest would be to wait for Linux 5.13 to be released.
>
> I used the libbpf TC loading support for convenience, but it's possible
> to load it using 'tc' as well without too much trouble (right now the
> userspace component sets a config variable before loading the program,
> but it can be restructured to not need that).
>
> Alternatively, the bpf-examples repository is setup with a libbpf
> submodule that it can link statically against, so you could use that for
> now?

I've updated to 5.13 + patches on top, so now it builds :)
Library-embedding is a no-go for OpenWrt. Having different ABI-versions
of libraries installed simultanously works, so we can just ship with
a more recent version of libbpf.

> > I (of course ;) also tried and spend almost a day looking for a
> > quick-and-dirty path for temporary deployment, so I could at least give
> > feedback -- bpf-examples also isn't exactly made to be cross-compiled
> > manually, so I have failed with that as well so far.
>
> Heh, no, it isn't, really. Anything in particular you need to make this
> easier? We already added some bits to xdp-tools for supporting
> cross-compilation (and that shares some lineage with bpf-examples), so
> porting those over should not be too difficult.

I found my way around, see the packaging for bpf-examples in the tree
(link above, at path stated above)

> See: https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-tools/pull/78 and
> https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-tools/issues/74
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to poke more at this right now,
> but feel free to open up an issue / pull request to the bpf-examples
> repository with any changes you need :)

I guess I'll just go ahead then and package xdp-tools :)

Cheers

Daniel