best way for redundancy?

Nicolai nicolai-wireguard at chocolatine.org
Tue Mar 2 17:10:21 UTC 2021

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 10:17:06PM +0100, Joachim Lindenberg wrote:

> I do have a wireguard VPN that connects multiple sites. Unfortunately
> some routers are not available all the time, causing network disruption.
> I'd like to improve connectivity via redundancy, i.e. add multiple
> routers that connect the networks.

> What are the options to do that using wireguard? Can I have multiple
> peers with different keys and endpoint but same Allowed IPs? Will
> wireguard select the one available?

In the future I want a similar setup: multiple routers for each network
each seamlessly handling WireGuard when necessary.  I haven't put any
effort into this yet, but my general plan is to use CARP on OpenBSD,
with WireGuard sharing keys.  (I know you want distinct keys, so I
waited to respond until others had a chance.)  Anyway the routers in
City1 would share City1Keys, routers in City2 would share City2Keys,
etc.  When City1Router1 is unavailable, City1Router2 would grab the IP
address and be able to immediately speak WireGuard to the other
locations without anyone noticing.

https://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/carp.html

Nicolai