Removing WireGuard Support From FreeBSD Base

Kyle Evans kevans at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 18 16:52:21 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:48 AM Kyle Evans <kevans at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You may have recently noticed some chatter around the internet about
> FreeBSD's in-kernel WireGuard implementation, and the work we've done
> on it in the last week.  You may have also noticed additional chatter
> afterwards with regards to the original implementation.  I'd like to give
> some context and information with regards to the current situation, as
> well as provide some insight into the future as one of the developers
> involved.

I'm afraid I must follow this one up with an announcement that I'm
stepping back from the wireguard-freebsd efforts.

You'll likely hear some things about me in the coming days. I'm sure
I've said more things in the past week and a half in anger that I
regret, and I'll have to live with that. I'd like to set the record
straight. Netgate personnel were involved in part with my announcement
of removal. I did not take a number of suggestions, because I wrote
what I believed in and I continue to do so. Netgate is in no way
involved with this announcement that I'm leaving it for now. There's
been too much press surrounding this, and it's distracting me from the
work that I like to do and what I'm typically known for.

The wireguard-freebsd project will need a new maintainer.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans