WireGuard Configurations Gone After iOS 15 Upgrade

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 19:58:01 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 3:31 PM Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got a new build submitted to the App Store, and so now we wait
> for Apple's review.
>
> I do not understand the root cause or how it might resolve itself yet,
> because I haven't been able to reproduce. But I've removed the
> ridiculous code that deletes network profiles when the keychain can't
> be opened. My hope is that the open failure is transient, and so this
> fix will be sufficient to unwedge it. I guess we'll see...

I recall reading a report last night... An app lost access to its
keychain items after an iOS 15 upgrade. The workaround was to "Enable
iCloud Keychain".

I don't think that's a good idea, however. You don't want your secrets
leaving your security boundary and moving to Apple's cloud. In fact, I
stopped using Apple devices back around iOS 6 when Apple integrated
the keychain into their cloud services.

Jeff