[iOS] IPv4 -> IPv6 transition

Kristof Mattei kristofmattei at outlook.com
Mon Aug 22 23:40:28 UTC 2022

Hi,

I’ve had a bug for the longest while when using Wireguard on T-Mobile USA (IPv6 only).

I have a VPN server listening to both IPv4 & IPv6. I have a DNS A and AAAA set on the same domain.

When making a connection from an IPv4-only WiFi network with Wireguard enabled and then walking away from the Wifi where we transition to a IPv6 network with 464XLAT we have the issue that Wireguard does not select the AAAA on the domain.

It prefers IPv4, as shown here: https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-apple/tree/Sources/WireGuardKit/DNSResolver.swift#n46 and here: https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-apple/tree/Sources/WireGuardKit/DNSResolver.swift#n73

Would it be possible to get this change to prefer to use IPv6?

That said, if Wireguard has iOS development licenses, I’d be happy to submit a patch (my personal license doesn’t allow me to test VPNs…)

KM