Source IP incorrect on multi homed systems

David Kerr david at kerr.net
Sun Feb 19 16:32:23 UTC 2023

Without getting into the debate of whether wireguard is acting
correctly or not, I think there is a possible workaround.

1. In the iptables mangle table PREROUTING, match the incoming
interface and destination address and --set-xmark a firewall MARK
unique to this interface/destination
2. Create a new ip route table that sets the default route to go out
on the interface with the source address you want (same as destination
address in iptables)
3. Create a new ip rule that sends all packets with firewall mark set
in iptables to the routing table you just created

Repeat above for each interface/address you need to mangle, with a
unique firewall mark and routing table for each.

It may be necessary to use CONNMARK in PREROUTING and OUTPUT to
--restore_mark.  I can't remember if this is needed or not, its been a
while since I configured iptables with this.

This should ensure that any packet that comes into an
interface/address is replied to from the same interface/address.

David