Source IP incorrect on multi homed systems

tlhackque tlhackque at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 19 22:06:44 UTC 2023

On 19-Feb-23 16:19, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> So far this situation doesn't exist for us, because only servers are
> multi homed.

It's not that uncommon; consider a docked notebook that has a WiFi
address and an Ethernet address on the same subnet.

While typically the routing priorities favor the Ethernet, the mobile
will have both addresses.

In a car, you can have WiFi thru the car and mobile data.  (Not saying I
like this, but ..)

There are probably other cases, but I wouldn't assume it's only a server
issue.

As I also noted in another note: two servers can have the same issue, if
both are multi-homed.

The solution really needs to be symmetric.