[RFC] Replace WireGuard AllowedIPs with IP route attribute

Daniel Gröber dxld at darkboxed.org
Fri Sep 29 13:12:57 UTC 2023

Hi Ivan,

> IMO, a good tunnel solution may be if what is now called AllowedIPs,
> were functionally split into:
>  - AcceptIPS (to be different from AllowedIPs)
>  - RouteIPs
> Perhaps with a default shorthand of, say, IPs, setting both, as
> AllowedIPs historically caused confusion wrt. it's meaning.

That would be one way to paint the shed, yes.

This alone doesn't really address the crux of the problem though:
scalability.

> Wireguard API is a bit clunky, but I think one could dynamically manage
> routes in reasonably efficient ways without extra interfaces and layers.

The entire idea with the new route attribute is to put this functionality
into the right (pre-existing) layer and not invent a new way of expressing
this. We even get scalability for free. Win-Win.

--Daniel

PS: Your mail didn't reach my inbox for some reason, I randomly found it
while looking at the wg list archives. Consider configuring your mail
client to To/CC people you're replying to in order to better handle flaky
list servers.