REQUEST: better install support/documentation

Lukas Fleischer cgit at cryptocrack.de
Wed Aug 31 11:14:51 CEST 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 03:10:14PM -0400, Ryan Lewis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I very much want to use your software, but, I have too much trouble
> installing it.
>
> the purpose of a Makefile is to alleviate the stress of configuration,
> if there needs to be an appropriate .htaccess file generated, can you
> please automate this, instead of vaguely instructing us what needs to
> be done in a README, or at least, be a bit more detailed about what
> needs to be done.

-1 to creating a ".htaccess" file automatically. The configuration
changes needed heavily depend on the type of web server that is used and
the general setup. We should not make assumptions. A good administrator
should know what to do.

Agreed that documentation isn't perfect. Feel free to submit a patch.

> Also, the install process assumes root and installation in some root
> directory, most people hosting websites use shared hosts, without root
> access. can you make it so that I can point the makefile at a
> directory (like the directory where files for git.foobar.com) and
> maybe a /home/cgit directory, where any configuration files or
> repositories might live?

Use "DESTDIR" to specify any non-standard root directory (this is pretty
standard). Use "CGIT_SCRIPT_PATH" to specify an alternate patch to put
the CGI files into.

  $ make CGIT_SCRIPT_PATH=/bar DESTDIR=/foo install

... to install them to "/foo/bar", for example.