FastCGI integration for cgit?

Peter Wu lekensteyn at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 10:51:03 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I am investigating the options for deploying cgit+gitolite. As I am running
nginx, I have to use fastcgi or something similar.

Some resources that I found during a search:

- http://russellhaering.com/2009/12/22/running-cgit-under-nginx/
- https://gist.github.com/stran12/1394757
- http://polemon.org/cgit_nginx
- http://blog.zx2c4.com/293

Their instructions however, do suggest the use of nginx + spawn-cgi + fcgiwrap
+ cgit. I have some issues with it:

- Even if nginx and cgit run as different users, nginx can still run arbitrary
commands under the rights of cgit (via SCRIPT_FILENAME).
- If the only goal of fcgiwrap is to run cgit, why fcgiwrap at all and not
integrate it into cgit?

So I was wondering if somebody has already considered integrating fastcgi into
cgit or other experiences with a nginx+(fastcgi+)cgit setup? I do not expect
much traffic, but still want to have a secure (isolated) setup with predictable
resource use.

Regards,
Peter