Help with installing cgit

John Keeping john at keeping.me.uk
Sun Dec 29 11:18:15 CET 2013

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 08:46:37AM +0000, Shlomit Afgin wrote:
> I download from http://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/refs/  the file cgit-0.9.2.tar.xz
> I follow the instruction in README:
>      make get-git
>      make
>      make install
>      Edit Apache conf file and add
>         <Directory "/var/www/htdocs/cgit/">
>           AllowOverride None
>           Options +ExecCGI
>           Order allow,deny
>           Allow from all
>         </Directory>
>      I also add alias:
>         Alias /cgit  /var/www/htdocs/cgit/
>
> When I go to http://server.domain/cgit I get the following error:
>     You don't have permission to access /cgit/ on this server
>     And In the error_log I get:
>         Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/htdocs/cgit/
> I tried to add to 'Options' the +Indexes, So I get the list of the
> content but the cgit did not work.

The "cgit" program is a CGI executable that you need to run.  Do you
have "cgit" in /var/www/htdocs/cgit/ ?  If so, what happens if you go to
http://your.domain/cgit/cgit ?

I have the following in my Apache config for CGit:

    <Location /cgit>
            RewriteEngine on
            RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
            RewriteRule ^/var/www/localhost/htdocs/cgit(.*) /cgi-bin/cgit.cgi$1 [L,PT]
    </Location>

This rewrites all requests under /cgit to go to the "cgit" program in
/cgi-bin/.

There is some more information on Apache's CGI support here [1].

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/howto/cgi.html

> Also I did not find instruction, how to set the file cgit.conf in
> order to change the place of cgit files location.

You can either specify CGIT_CONFIG in the environment under which CGit
runs (e.g. using Apache's "SetEnv" directive) or just change the default
when you build CGit by setting CGIT_CONFIG in the "cgit.conf" file
that's included by the makefile.

Hope this helps,
John