Bug: alternates not followed when enable-http-clone=1

John Keeping john at keeping.me.uk
Mon Apr 28 20:27:29 CEST 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 12:18:39PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> Someone tried to clone a cgit URL instead of the canonical clone URL for
> one of the projects and I thus discovered that cgit's http-clone support
> doesn't do the right thing with repositories that use alternates.
> Probably should be fixed.

Do you have absolute or relative paths in $GIT_DIR/info/alternates?

I can't see anything that CGit's HTTP implementation does differently
from git-http-backend, but gitrepository-layout(5) indicates that you
may need to create $GIT_DIR/info/http-alternates as well to provide the
correct paths to HTTP clients.

If you don't want CGit's HTTP clone, it might make more sense to just
turn it off in cgitrc ("enable-http-clone = 0").