Bug: alternates not followed when enable-http-clone=1

Konstantin Ryabitsev mricon at kernel.org
Wed Apr 30 18:32:23 CEST 2014

On 28/04/14 02:27 PM, John Keeping wrote:
> Do you have absolute or relative paths in $GIT_DIR/info/alternates?
>
> I can't see anything that CGit's HTTP implementation does differently
> from git-http-backend, but gitrepository-layout(5) indicates that you
> may need to create $GIT_DIR/info/http-alternates as well to provide the
> correct paths to HTTP clients.

Ah, you are right, of course -- dumb protocol can't do plain alternates.
Silly me! Then I take it back -- it's not really a bug at all, just a
misconfiguration on my end.

> If you don't want CGit's HTTP clone, it might make more sense to just
> turn it off in cgitrc ("enable-http-clone = 0").

That's what I ended up doing. People weren't supposed to be using cgit
URLs for cloning, but someone always tries. :)

Best,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Senior Systems Administrator