owner links? (was: author/committer/tagger links -- kernel.org?)

Kyle J. McKay mackyle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 14:46:06 CET 2014

On Jan 16, 2014, at 03:18, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 4:28 AM, Kyle J. McKay <mackyle at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Looking at the new docs for this [4] I don't see an option to
>> filter owners.
>> I see that the owner is passed in as "CGIT_REPO_OWNER", but I don't
>> see an
>> opportunity to produce the owner markup.  Is it there and I'm just
>> not
>> seeing it?
>
> This is certainly interesting, though slightly different, as the
> owners aren't attached to email authors, like in the commits. Still
> though, something worth exploring. There are a number of options for
> this. I could add a filter wrapper around the owner column values. Or,
> I could implement the search capability directly in cgit. Or other
> things.

Here's the relevant change to gitweb on repo that supports this:

   # owner link hook given owner name (full and NOT obfuscated)
   # should return full URL-escaped link to attach to owner, for
example:
   #    sub { return "/showowner.cgi?owner=".CGI::Util::escape($_[0]); }
   our $owner_link_hook = undef;

And we use this hook:

   $owner_link_hook =
     sub { url_path($Girocco::Config::webadmurl).
           "/projlist.cgi?name=".md5_hex($_[0]); };

> First, though -- is repo.or.cz considering moving to cgit from its
> modified gitweb? Is this a serious investigation into cgit as a
> replacement?

Replacement's a strong word at this point.  I've been looking into it
ever since I found this in the Apache config:

   RewriteRule ^/c/(.*)$ /cgit.cgi?url=$1 [L,QSA]

So a cgit version of the cgit mirror would be http://repo.or.cz/c/cgit.git
  (don't bother, 404 at this point).

I do slip in the occasional preparatory work [1] to make cgit support
easier when I become aware of such things. :)

Looking at top, gitweb is clearly a CPU pig on repo.or.cz (git clones
can also be piggy but I expect that to drop significantly when the new
pack bitmap support is deployed).  And besides, the cgit display just
looks good.  I'd like to add support for cgit to girocco [2] as an
alternative to gitweb.  When that's sufficiently mature I'd like to
deploy it alongside gitweb on repo for a time and then we can talk
about switching.  :)

>> The repo.or.cz pages also try to make the email addresses more
>> difficult to
>> scrape by generating peculiar markup (the HTML::Email::Obfuscate
>> package) so
>> conceivably this could be handled in the owner filter as well.
>
> We have the noplainemail config flag already. Perhaps this could be
> phased out, preferring the email-filter and commit-filter instead.

As you can see from the hook text above the repo gitweb hook only
offers the ability to attach a link, it doesn't actually let one
generate the markup or change the displayed owner name.  That's all I
really need.  On the project list page [3] there are thousands of
these, so running a shell script for each one is a non-starter.  A
simple regex is not good enough either because it needs to generate
the md5 hash (probably ought to be md5_hex(lc($_[0])) too -- another
TODO item).

Kyle

[1] http://repo.or.cz/w/girocco.git/commit/abe9554c1bf1699ac0aaea08639310f404458d14
[2] http://repo.or.cz/w/girocco.git/blob/HEAD:/README