owner links? (was: author/committer/tagger links -- kernel.org?)

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Thu Jan 16 12:18:42 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 4:28 AM, Kyle J. McKay <mackyle at gmail.com> wrote:
> On repo.or.cz I've hooked up project owner to a link that shows a list of
> all projects owned by the same person.
>
> So, for example, the owner name is passed in and you end up getting back
> links like [1] and [2].  (You can see where this shows up by pulling up one
> of the project summary pages on repo.or.cz such as the cgit mirror [3].)
>
> Looking at the new docs for this [4] I don't see an option to filter owners.
> I see that the owner is passed in as "CGIT_REPO_OWNER", but I don't see an
> opportunity to produce the owner markup.  Is it there and I'm just not
> seeing it?

This is certainly interesting, though slightly different, as the
owners aren't attached to email authors, like in the commits. Still
though, something worth exploring. There are a number of options for
this. I could add a filter wrapper around the owner column values. Or,
I could implement the search capability directly in cgit. Or other
things.

First, though -- is repo.or.cz considering moving to cgit from its
modified gitweb? Is this a serious investigation into cgit as a
replacement?

> The repo.or.cz pages also try to make the email addresses more difficult to
> scrape by generating peculiar markup (the HTML::Email::Obfuscate package) so
> conceivably this could be handled in the owner filter as well.

We have the noplainemail config flag already. Perhaps this could be
phased out, preferring the email-filter and commit-filter instead.