Fwd: JSON interface

John Keeping john at keeping.me.uk
Sun Oct 5 14:05:40 CEST 2014

On Sun, Oct 05, 2014 at 02:13:35PM +0300, Wilhelm Matilainen wrote:
> Instead of acting as a server providing html and css files, could there be
> a only-json option?

You can already configure the URL for CGit's CSS and logo files to point
at a separate machine if you want to do that.

> I could then provide all the static files minified and cached from a proper
> http server already in use and request only the data from cgit.
>
> Using jquery:
> $.getJSON('/git/repository/<repo>', function(data) {
>     showRepo(data);
> });
>
> By loading https://
> <server>/git/<what-I-need>/<parameter-1>/<parameter-2>/<etc.>
> CGit would output something like:
> {
> "repository": "test",
> "property1": "value1",
> "property2": "value2"
> }

I don't think it would be particularly difficult to add a new "json" URL
in cmd.c and handle all of the necessary sub-options, but you would then
need to write an entire UI in JavaScript.

At that point, I'm not sure it would be CGit any more since you would be
using essentially none of the code that exists now.