XSS in cgit

John Keeping john at keeping.me.uk
Thu Jan 14 12:07:39 CET 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 12:01:57PM +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 11:57 AM, John Keeping <john at keeping.me.uk> wrote:
> > I wonder if we should just drop support for the "mimetype" query
> > parameter and see if anyone complains.  In general, I would expect it to
> > be the server's responsibility to decide on the type of its output and
> > allowing the client to override it seems like a problem in general.
>
> Agreed here.
>
> We still have the other issue of git repos containing valid html with
> malicious scripts and whatnot, though. Can we simply kill the feature
> of allowing HTML to be served from cgit? This would indeed fix the
> security issue in the best way. But would folks complain?

Unlike the "mimetype" query parameter, I can see valid usecases for
serving HTML from repositories with CGit (I've even used it myself in
the past), so I expect there will be complaints for that one.

Could we add a config knob for serving HTML and turn if off by default?
That will allow people who trust their repository contents to use this
feature while protecting everyone else.