[pass] Fwd: Darwin ramdisk

rupa rupa at lrrr.us
Wed Sep 12 03:12:01 CEST 2012

oops, meant this to goto the list too

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: rupa <rupa at lrrr.us>
Date: Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Subject: Re: [pass] Darwin ramdisk
To: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason at zx2c4.com>

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM, rupa <rupa at lrrr.us> wrote:
>> Probably not high on your list, but FWIW attached is a reference shell
>> script that creates and destroys a ramdisk on Darwin.

That script was broken, please ignore it. For some reason quoting the
$ramdisk_dev variable breaks everything.

> This is cool. That warning on OSX about insecure temporary file
> creation is a bummer, and it would be nice to remove it. I started to
> look at this ramdisk situation, but my dislike of the Mac overwhelmed
> me, so I stopped.

You can't be expected to put too much effort into a platform that you
don't use, sure.

> If you'd like to integrate this into pass, that would be totally
> awesome. I probably wouldn't be up for merging something super OSX
> specific, but I'm sure Theo (who should be on this ML) would be
> willing to add the patch to the Homebrew formula, and I can help out
> with keeping things as tidy and neat as possible.

Attached is a (working) patch that adds support based on `uname`. Up
to you and/or Theo how or if you want to use it. Afaik, it only works
on OSX 10.5 and up.

> Alternatively, you might be able to refactor this into something that
> could live inside the contrib/ directory.

Not sure how it could live in contrib, but whatever works. There's
plenty of workarounds for various *nix clipboard utilities and stuff
in the codebase already, and I don't personally see why OS specifics
are too much worse than that (/dev/shm being there by default is
debian (and maybe ubuntu) specific afaik). But it's your project, and
I can see why wasting time on this stuff can be irritating.

> What do you think?

Honestly, I'm still OK with writing to /tmp :P