[pass] Feature request: templates and better clipboard support

Chris Down chris at chrisdown.name
Sun Dec 8 22:33:53 CET 2013

Hi Roland,

On 2013-12-08 22:28:07 +0100, Roland Berger wrote:
> Here is what I miss an how I got around it and may be you're going to
> integrate it into pass in a better fashion than I did.
>
> I organize all my data of a thing in the same multiline pass entry. Since
> there are a lot of different kinds of a thing I have to store (like normal
> usernames/passwords or database connections or creditcard numbers it would
> be cool to supply a template and fill in some data and store it with pass.
> Later it would be cool to extract any data, not only the password, and copy
> it to the clipboard.

I'm slightly confused by this patch. You know about `-c`, right? I think
the appropriate way to do this would be to have another flag that does a
multiline copy. That's not hard to do, if there's demand for it, I can
write a patch.

> Later to copy the password "V}zp*/?9{L;;x%|" to clipboard I can do like so:
>
>  * pass show foo/bar.com | pclip passw
>
> To copy the username "foo" to clipboard like so:
>
>  * pass show foo/bar.com | pclip usern

In general I think you should keep the username as part of the file path
(that is, it would be foo/bar.com/username).