[pass] I surrender!

donald d.menken at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 9 14:49:05 CET 2013

I have tried diligently, without success, to install pass.  There is
obviously an interaction with GIT/GPG which I do not fathom.

I created a fresh working directory (pw), moved the contents of the pass
tarball into that directory.  My home directory contains a .gitconfig
file which contains
> [user]
>     name = donald
>     email = d.menken at sbcglobal.net
> [gui]
>     recentrepo = /home/donald/perl-dev/TAXcalc

I then executed a pass init followed by an attempt to add a password to
a presumably empty file:

> bash-4.1$ cd pw
> bash-4.1$ ll
> total 4
> drwx------. 5 donald donald 4096 Dec  5 10:24 password-store-1.4.2
> bash-4.1$ pass init "$a432 Password Storage Key"
> Password store initialized for  Password Storage Key.
> [master be4c46a] Set GPG id to  Password Storage Key.
> bash-4.1$ ll
> total 4
> drwx------. 5 donald donald 4096 Dec  5 10:24 password-store-1.4.2
> bash-4.1$ pass insert web/amazon.com
> Enter password for web/amazon.com:
> Retype password for web/amazon.com:
> gpg:  Password Storage Key: skipped: No public key
> gpg: [stdin]: encryption failed: No public key
> fatal: pathspec 'web/amazon.com.gpg' did not match any files

I can, of course, "clean up" all of the miscellaneous files created so
far and start from scratch (one more time) but I confess that I have
exhausted all of my ideas of how to "do it right".  Helpful suggestions
-- assuming total ignorance on my part -- would be welcomed.