[pass] Multiple Users & Multiple Password Stores

Chris Down chris at chrisdown.name
Sat Oct 12 10:09:17 CEST 2013

On 2013-10-11 14:01, Kevin Crawford wrote:
> Ah, I don't mean different users on the same computer. I mean
> different users on different computers—for managing passwords shared
> with coworkers.
>
> I envision a system where we can each use our own keys to unlock the
> same password store, and keep that password store synced on each of
> our computers using git.

In which case you probably want something like the following (note: untested):

    pass git init
    pass git remote add personal personal-git-repo
    pass git remote add work work-git-repo
    pass git commit --allow-empty -m 'Initial commit'
    pass git checkout -b personal -t personal/personal
    pass git checkout -b work -t work/work

You will have to manage the users that have access to each file manually,
though, by manipulating the files in ~/.password-store.

pass isn't really designed for collaborative password sharing at the moment.
It's not a bad idea, though, and it's probably not that hard to implement. I
might look into coding functionality to do that soon.