[pass] Multiple Users & Multiple Password Stores

Kevin Crawford kvcrawford at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 18:47:18 CEST 2013

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM, Chris Down <chris at chrisdown.name> wrote:
> On 2013-10-11 14:01, Kevin Crawford wrote:
>> Ah, I don't mean different users on the same computer. I mean
>> different users on different computers—for managing passwords shared
>> with coworkers.
>>
>> I envision a system where we can each use our own keys to unlock the
>> same password store, and keep that password store synced on each of
>> our computers using git.
>
> In which case you probably want something like the following (note: untested):
>
>     pass git init
>     pass git remote add personal personal-git-repo
>     pass git remote add work work-git-repo
>     pass git commit --allow-empty -m 'Initial commit'
>     pass git checkout -b personal -t personal/personal
>     pass git checkout -b work -t work/work
>
> You will have to manage the users that have access to each file manually,
> though, by manipulating the files in ~/.password-store.
>
> pass isn't really designed for collaborative password sharing at the moment.
> It's not a bad idea, though, and it's probably not that hard to implement. I
> might look into coding functionality to do that soon.

Ah, so the different branch would depend on a different key. Yeah, I
think that would work, though it would be quite a bit of a hack.

The way I initially thought (hoped) pass worked was you could have any
number of password stores, each one a discrete git repo. I think
having each repo inside of ~/.password-store would fit pretty
naturally.

How do you envision the implementation of collaborative password
sharing? Might some clever usage of subkeys work?