[pass] generate only first line

Reed Loden reed at reedloden.com
Fri Apr 18 20:21:11 CEST 2014

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:12:36 -0400 (EDT)
Jimmy Neutron <nobody at beta.jpunix.net> wrote:

> As someone who likes to change passwords quite often I really like the generate command.
> But as I prefer to have metadata alongside the password it would be really useful if pass would only replace the first line of a passfile if it regenerates an already existing password.
> Otherwise when using generate everything else in the passfile would be deleted.

Another modification of this idea (maybe as Yet Another Flag) would be
to take the old password and stick it in the bottom section of the
passfile as "old pw" or something. There are plenty of times when I've
had to dig up the old password for something, and going back in git
history is annoying, so I generally have the first line be the new
password and move the old one below.

~reed