[pass] Wanted: Test Suite

Von Welch von at vwelch.com
Sat Apr 19 18:56:34 CEST 2014

Jason, all,

I've added a few more tests, enough to to find a few more issues. I'm going
to pause at this point and wait for feedback to see if we agree this is the
right path before doing more. The basic approach seems solid to me with a
few small issues/questions to resolve:

1) Unencrypted GPG key vs GPG-agent. Except for some weirdness with 'pass
init' with an unencrypted gpg key and a closed stdin, an unencrypted key
seems to work well. It seems simpler than getting a gpg-agent running.
Acceptable or do we really want to use an agent for testing?

2) "Building" pass. I figured out I really needed a version of the pass
script to test with that has the platform-specific stuff replaced.
Currently 'make install' is the only way to create a fully-functional pass
script, but I don't want to require installation for testing. Hence in my
branch I split the 'make install' process into 'make' which creates the
platform-specific script and 'make install' which installs it. This lets
you run 'make && make tests' without an install (actually 'make tests' will
do a 'make' if needed, but you get the idea.) Sound reasonable?

3) 'pass insert' requires interactivity. It insists on asking for the
password twice even if stdin is not a terminal (a pipe). We'll either need
to change that behavior, find some clever way of working around it for
testing, or just decide it's not part of the test suite.

4) Going further with regards to interactivity, I have no idea how to test
'pass edit' at this point. I guess one could create a vimscript or
something similar to simulate a user typing? Or just not worry about it for
the test suite.

Von