[pass] Replace base64 in cygwin?

Stephen Schoun stephen at schoun.net
Sun Apr 27 18:11:49 CEST 2014

On 04/27/2014 09:28 AM, Matthew Cengia wrote:
> On 2014-04-27 06:26, Stephen Schoun wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> This is my first post to the password-store listserv.  Pass works
>> great for me on Linux, but I have been struggling to get it to work
>> on Windows.  One of the issues I came across was the difficulty in
>> finding an executable of the "base64" program for
>> cygwin/mingw/msys/msysgit anywhere on the internet and I don't
>> really want to compile it myself.  I'm actually using msysgit.
>>
>> However, I found a workaround that seems to do the job.  If I
>> understand correctly, base64 is used to strip newlines when writing
>> and reading from the clipboard manager.
> Hi Stephen,
>
> No, the purpose of base64 is to explicitly *prevent* the stripping of
> trailing newlines from the clipboard. Without it, the last newline of
> the clipboard's contents is removed, and that may be unintended. I *think*
> Jason has written an alternative to the base64 method which should be
> out soon.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for replying.  Are you sure that the desired effect is to
*prevent* stripping of newlines?  When a password is copied to the
clipboard, I want to be able to paste that password without having it
include a newline character.  When pasting logon information in some web
pages, for example, browsers might interpret the newline character as an
actual character of the password, or they might interpret the newline as
a request to submit the page before I am ready.

Best regards,

--Stephen