[pass] Replace base64 in cygwin?

Matthew Cengia mattcen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 15:28:39 CEST 2014

On 2014-04-27 06:26, Stephen Schoun wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This is my first post to the password-store listserv.  Pass works
> great for me on Linux, but I have been struggling to get it to work
> on Windows.  One of the issues I came across was the difficulty in
> finding an executable of the "base64" program for
> cygwin/mingw/msys/msysgit anywhere on the internet and I don't
> really want to compile it myself.  I'm actually using msysgit.
>
> However, I found a workaround that seems to do the job.  If I
> understand correctly, base64 is used to strip newlines when writing
> and reading from the clipboard manager.

Hi Stephen,

No, the purpose of base64 is to explicitly *prevent* the stripping of
trailing newlines from the clipboard. Without it, the last newline of
the clipboard's contents is removed, and that may be unintended. I *think*
Jason has written an alternative to the base64 method which should be
out soon.

--
Regards,
Matthew Cengia