[pass] Replace base64 in cygwin?

Kevin Cox kevincox at kevincox.ca
Sun Apr 27 14:01:23 CEST 2014

On Apr 27, 2014 6:26 AM, "Stephen Schoun" <stephen at schoun.net> wrote:

> However, I found a workaround that seems to do the job.  If I understand
correctly, base64 is used to strip newlines when writing and reading from
the clipboard manager.  So I was able to replace the "base64" or "base64
-d" command with a suitable bash function in src/platform/cygwin.sh using
"tr":

Hello Stephen,

I don't know the exact use of base64 in the source but it isn't generally
used to strip newlines. (I don't even know if it can do that)

Base64 is a method of encoding binary data in plain text.

They being said there may be other methods for base64 encoding.  For
example openssl has a base64 endowed.  Is that available on your system?
Maybe it could be used as a fallback.

I don't use windows so I am taking shots in the dark but it shouldn't be
difficult to call a different binary if `base64 ` isn't available.

Cheers,
Kevin