[pass] copying usernames and urls

Alfredo Pironti alfredo at pironti.eu
Tue Apr 29 16:57:52 CEST 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 4:50 PM, René Neumann <lists at necoro.eu> wrote:

> Am 29.04.2014 16:39, schrieb Johan Venant:
> > This is a very elegant approach. I really like it. But it's also a huge
> > limitation for third party tools who would like to share data through
> pass.
> > I mean I currently use both the firefox addon and dmenu script. And I
> think
> > it make sens to delegate format management to pass to ensure
> compatibility
> > The main question behind this is : what is the purpose of pass ?
> > * to be a command line passwords tool ?
> > * or to be a command line based password manager facilitating access to
> > password data to third tools ?
>

> I don't think, that pass should enforce any particular format. This is,
> as several others point out, the great benefit of the tool: you can safe
> anything you like in it.
>
> On the other I hand, I think, there is no harm in adding additional(!)
> builtin shortcuts for some use cases (like the 'field' thing). Sure,
> everyone can rebuild it on his own. But if it eases the use for >50% of
> the userbase and does not hinder the rest, I can't see the issue.

Letting software run on unexpected data (the case where the user invokes
the additional command on unformatted data) can have bad consequences.
Sure one can try to implement conservative checks to gracefully fail, but
they increase
complexity and sometimes one just misses such checks. Since this is
software running on sensitive data, taking the conservative approach
(of not parsing user data at all) seems safer, although functionality may
be hindered a bit.

> If there is still opposition, perhaps another way is to split pass into
> a 'lib' and a set of commands. Then anyone can easily add commands to
> his liking without having to redo work done in pass already (like
> clipboard management).

That could do, and to some extent looks like Johan's use case, where several
frontends are accessing the same database.