[pass] Patch for adding a multiclip option

Niek Bosch niek at demediafabriek.nl
Tue Feb 11 15:25:01 CET 2014

Hey all,

I would like to contribute my —multiclip (-m) option to pass.

Pass currently offers the option to copy the password to the clipboard (with -c), but often we also need to copy other information to the clipboard like usernames and/or website addresses. At the moment, this is only possible by echoing the complete decrypted content to the terminal, and using the mouse to copy the other information piece by piece. When using the multiclip option, the content does not need to be echoed to the terminal and we can use the keyboard to copy all data instead of having to reach for the mouse a few times.

For example, say we created the following multiline pass file:

somePassword1
username: my-username
password: http://www.website.com

Then we could use the multiclip option to quickly copy all information to the clipboard as following:

macbook:bin niek$ pass -m private/website.com
Which key or line do you want to copy to the clipboard?

1) password
2) username
3) url
q) quit

Please make a choice: 3

Copied prive/tweakers.net url to clipboard. Will clear in 45 seconds.

Please make a choice: 2

Copied prive/tweakers.net username to clipboard. Will clear in 45 seconds.

Please make a choice: 1

Copied prive/tweakers.net password to clipboard. Will clear in 45 seconds.

Please make a choice: q

macbook:bin niek$

If the multiline pass file was formatted as following:

somePassword1
my-username
http://www.website.com

Then pass would output the line numbers as options:

macbook:bin niek$ pass -m private/website.com
Which key or line do you want to copy to the clipboard?

1) password
2) line 2
3) line 3
q) quit