[pass] Patch for adding a multiclip option

Matthew Cengia mattcen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 14:42:54 CET 2014

On 2014-02-13 14:29, Jonas Wagner wrote:
[...]
> there was a patch for a --tail option on this list a while ago... I think
> it solves this problem nicely. For me, usually only the password itself is
> really sensitive, whereas usernames can be echoed to the terminal.

Really? A --tail option? What's wrong with 'pass foo | sed 1d'?

This tool very explicitly claims to follow the Unix philosophy ("do one
thing, and do it well"); adding too many options will break that
paradigm. A perfect example was my email yesterday about supporting
multiple GPG keys, which somebody pointed out is better done in the GPG
config.

[...]
> I don't know about your setup, but for me gpg-agent caches the password for
> some time, so I only need to enter it once. Using the shell command
> history, I think executing almost the same pass command a second time would
> be very quick.

I completely agree with the above. Indeed, I personally would have no
problem doing something like:

  for line in 2 3 4; do pass foo -m "$line"; read; done

to get each line individually, waiting for user input before storing the
next one in the clipboard.

--
Regards,
Matthew Cengia