[pass] adding gpg keys?

Jonathan Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Thu Nov 20 18:27:58 CET 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 07:08:38PM +0200, George Angelopoulos wrote:

:There's no such thing as '--reencrypt'.

false (well false in teh olde version in the Ubuntu 14.04 repos):

$ pass --help

    pass init [--reencrypt,-e] gpg-id
        Initialize new password storage and use gpg-id for encryption.
        Optionally reencrypt existing passwords using new gpg-id.

: Idk where you got that.

from the help output, man page and source code.

from 'man pass'

COMMANDS
       init [ --reencrypt, -e ] gpg-id
              Initialize new password storage and use  gpg-id  for  encryption.  This
              command  must  be  run  first  before  a password store can be used. If
              --reencrypt or -e is specified, reencrypt all existing passwords in the
              password  store  using  gpg-id. Note that use of gpg-agent(1) is recom‐
              mended so that the batch decryption  does  not  require  as  much  user
              intervention.

$ grep reencrypt `which pass`

    $program init [--reencrypt,-e] gpg-id
        Optionally reencrypt existing passwords using new gpg-id.
                reencrypt=0
                opts="$($GETOPT -o e -l reencrypt -n "$program" -- "$@")"
                        -e|--reencrypt) reencrypt=1; shift ;;
                        echo "Usage: $program $command [--reencrypt,-e] gpg-id"
                if [[ $reencrypt -eq 1 ]]; then

:All you need to do is:
:
:pass init gpg-id...
:
:so for ids ABKJ8410, KJLLDDX3, FOOBARBZ you just do:
:
:pass init ABKJ8410 KJLLDDX3 FOOBARBZ
:
:If you want to reencrypt without KJLLDDX3, you do:
:
:pass init ABKJ8410 FOOBARBZ

Thanks, but that doesn't work either using the pass packaged with
Ubuntu 14.04 (v.1.4.2) so perhaps I need a newer version as latest
seems to be 1.6.3 according to http://www.passwordstore.org/

:Did you read the manual?

I read the man page (which mentions the --reencrypt option) and the
source code:

If there is more manual I'd be happy to read that as well but I see
nothing else on http://www.passwordstore.org/

I also tried `pass init --reencrypt ABKJ8410 FOOBARBZ` which resulted
in:

Usage: pass init [--reencrypt,-e] gpg-id

but the git version does look like it behaves in the way you describe (see above).

-Jon