[pass] Patch: Do not depend on verbose flags in Makefile

Mike Charlton mikekchar at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 04:51:40 CEST 2015

On 17 April 2015 at 15:55, Dahlberg, David <
david.dahlberg at fkie.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> I'd pretty much like to get some comments (or better a commit) about
> this patch that I posted onto the list a while ago, so that I could
> proceed with the rest that is already waiting.

This seems to be a bit of a common pattern (with some people waiting the
better part of a year to get a patch in).  While I can understand that life
can take you away from a project (I haven't updated some of the projects I
maintain in a couple of years) I worry that people will walk away from this
gem of a project.

Can I suggest adding a branch to the git repository (maybe called staging
or something) where people can submit changes without having to wait for
the maintainer's approval.  The active members of the list can review the
code and make suggestions so that work isn't stalled unduly.  Then when the
maintainer feels like he has the capacity to review what has happened he
can cherry pick from staging at will.

The upside of this scheme is that those of us who wish to use the features
that are coming as patches will be able to do so easily by simply using the
staging branch.  The downside is that if the maintainer doesn't come back,
it could possibly lead to a fork (although if people get too annoyed they
might just fork anyway).

Just a thought...