[pass] Using pass as non interactive password manager

Mike Charlton mikekchar at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 02:33:46 CEST 2015

I haven't tried it, but if I understand the problem correctly, it is
actually gpg-agent that requires the TTY.  So when you run gpg-agent and
type in the password, you must keep that TTY open.  Then your cron job must
run *as the same user* as the one that ran gpg-agent, or else it will spawn
a new gpg-agent.

Having said that, I think leaving a running gpg-agent with a very high TTL
around is dubious security.   Instead, I might think about using something
like EncFs or eCryptfs to encrypt the data rather than anything GPG-based.
GPG is good when you have to authenticate people as well as encrypt and
decrypt.  It makes plenty of assumptions about how it will be used which
make it not particularly useful as a general purpose encryption/decryption
system, unfortunately.

I am actually hoping that now that Werner Koch has a regular and fairly
secure income now that we will see a restructuring of the code that will
address other usage patterns, but that remains to be seen...