[pass] Proposal: fuzzy search

Kun Zhang arthur.kun at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 18:22:34 CEST 2016

Happy to see other people thinking the same thing :) I also started with a
simple script that does find and grep in .password-store, but then I
realized it's probably a better idea to integrate it to pass, because:
1) I want to be able to run "pass show" with and without --clip, with and
without the line number. I don't want to re-implement argument parsing in
my script.
2) Such feature is probably useful for other people.  Having it in the main
pass script is most convenient for users.

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Sylvain Viart <
sylvain at opensource-expert.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Le 15/08/2016 à 07:48, Allan Odgaard a écrit :
>
> On 15 Aug 2016, at 7:31, Kun Zhang wrote:
>
> […] I cannot simply copy the "find"
> output to "show" because it's a tree view instead of plain paths.
>

> I also programmed a bash script that find | grep into the .password-store
>
> example usage:
>
> find_pass linkedin
>
> /home/sylvain/.password-store/Perso/Sylvain/linkedin.gpg
> #  Perso/Sylvain/linkedin
> reading 'Perso/Sylvain/linkedin'
> Copied Perso/Sylvain/linkedin to clipboard. Will clear in 45 seconds.
>

> It matches with grep on the name of the file.gpg
>
> with some homemade internal rules:
>
>    - as I have duplicates, I show the full path, so I can rename or
>    delete files.
>    - if only one result found it goes to clipboard
>    - if it match a dedicated new folder, goes to clipboard
>    - etc.
>
> It uses colors too.
>
> If you are interested I can share it.
>
> Regards,
> Sylvain.
>
> --
> Sylvain Viart - Consultant informatique système linux

Best wishes
Kun Zhang