[pass] Proposal: fuzzy search

Sylvain Viart sylvain at opensource-expert.com
Tue Aug 16 06:30:10 CEST 2016

Hi,

Le 15/08/2016 à 18:22, Kun Zhang a écrit :
> Happy to see other people thinking the same thing :) I also started
> with a simple script that does find and grep in .password-store, but
> then I realized it's probably a better idea to integrate it to pass,
> because:
> 1) I want to be able to run "pass show" with and without --clip, with
> and without the line number. I don't want to re-implement argument
> parsing in my script.
> 2) Such feature is probably useful for other people.  Having it in the
> main pass script is most convenient for users.

I agree with both.
Just I dont take time to put into pass itself.
So as the excellent design of pass permit it, I hacked directly to  the
~/.password-store ! ;-)

I shared my code as is here: https://github.com/Sylvain303/find_pass

Le 16/08/2016 à 03:18, David Adam a écrit :
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016, Kun Zhang wrote:
>> However, I hate to type the full paths, because they are usually quite
>> long. bash-completion is nice, but still kind of slows me down.  The "find"
>> command is not very helpful because I have to type out the full path in
>> "show" even if there is only one match, and I cannot simply copy the "find"
>> output to "show" because it's a tree view instead of plain paths.
> Does your shell not do substring matching in completions for you? ;-)

I manage both fullpath and pass argument, it seems that all idea here
could merge into something really cool.
Also it may be time to think about signed plugin as mentioned here:

[pass] Extending pass with user-defined hooks / add ons
https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/password-store/2015-August/001659.html

Hope that helps…
Sylvain.

--
Sylvain Viart - Consultant informatique système linux