Cannot edit existing password using vim (or gvim)

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Thu Dec 1 13:38:14 CET 2016

On 01/12/2016 12:20, ads wrote:
> If I do mkdir /dev/shm/foo, then touch /dev/shm/foo/bar, the file bar
> gets written correctly.

And what if you do "gvim /dev/shm/foo/bar" ?

Is it possible that there is an apparmor policy for gvim, which is
preventing it opening files under /dev ?
> Somebody else suggested setting nobackup in vim, and I have tried that
> (and nowritebackup too). No difference. I have also removed my .vimrc
> file and .vim directory, and no difference.
>
> I'm very puzzled.

It might be useful to do an strace to see the actual system call it
tried to do and the error it got back:

strace -f pass edit <whatever> 2>strace.out

This will generate a ton of splurge in file strace.out, but if you
search through it for EPERM somewhere near the end, or just before it
prints the error message, it may give a clue.

Regards,

Brian.