Cannot edit existing password using vim (or gvim)

ads ads at whatho.net
Fri Dec 2 12:13:17 CET 2016

Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked at strace, but couldn't see any obvious cause (no EPERM for
example).  I set up a new user where it all worked properly, so I started
to try and find a difference, and realised that my normal userid uses gvim
(echo $EDITOR --> gvim) while my new test user uses vim. So to make the
straces comparable I switched to using vim for this task, but using vim I
find works fine anyway. I don't really need to find out why gvim doesn't
work since I have a good work-around, i.e. preface the pass edit command
with EDITOR=vim.