Displaying passwords as QR codes

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetil.homme at redpill-linpro.com
Sun Dec 25 02:52:54 CET 2016

On 2016-12-22 06:06, Corey Moncure wrote:
> My reason for going with the graphical display was that I suspected
> gimmick terminal color settings in a graphical desktop, such as odd
> fonts or transparency, could interfere with the legibility of the
> output.  I had only looked at the -t ascii mode, not -t ansi, which is
> superior.

"-t utf8" is even better, at least in my terminal, since it uses fewer
rows and easily fit within 80x24.  I'd add "-m 2" as well.

> The only benefits of the PNG approach are that the output ought to look
> the same regardless of the environment, and the display window is
> cleared very conveniently by pressing <Esc>.  The drawbacks are that it
> only works in a graphical windowing environment and the additional
> dependency on ImageMagick.

an ephemeral graphical window would be nice, and testing for $DISPLAY is
simple enough (assuming X11).

> With -t ansi, it is possible, but very unlikely, that terminal color
> settings would result in an unreadable output.  The whole screen must
> be cleared if you want the output to go away.  On the other hand, no
> dependency and it works in plain old ttys.

just a note: Control-L will clear the terminal (surprisingly many people
I have met haven't discovered/learnt this.)

--
Kjetil T. Homme
Redpill Linpro AS - Changing the game